Wednesday, February 29, 2012


Hunx And His Punx
Too Young to Be In Love
Hardly Art

(Editor's note: The sad fact of the matter is that I have a very demanding job which leaves me very little, if any, time to write blogs. I restarted The Midpoint with the hopes that simply having dominion over a small slice of the web would guilt me into regular posting. Several months later I see that isn't the case, sadly. I will do what I can, starting with my favorite thing to write about, new(ish) music! I don't care that it's almost March of 2012, I'm going to write about my favorite albums of 2011 in alphabetical order by band name.)

The Ergs! once told the world to "Xerox your genitals, not the Ramones." Sound advice for a 90's and 00's punk rock landscape overflowing with bands which offered little more than Ramones worship. However, the 10's (or whatever we're calling this decade) have brought about a sort of Ramone's Renaissance (See here). Hunx & His Punx' Too Young To Be In Love hits on a part of the Ramones' oeuvre which seems to be one of the least discussed: the heavy influence of girl groups on their sound. I won't be the first to point out this is basically a 60's girl group album with heavier guitars and a gay guy instead of a girl. It matters little: Hunx has an understanding of teenage love and heartbreak any Brill building pro would proud to brandish.

Scion gets it too, they produced the below video for the title track. Sadly, this sped up version doesn't appear on the album (or anywhere else I can find, for that matter.) However, this video captures the feel of the album perfectly, and the song sounds great with this beat. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment